Monday, February 23, 2009

For all you Cafe Rio fans out there...

OK, so I am a huuuge fan of Cafe Rio, but as they do not have them here in Washington I go through great withdrawals until I can visit Utah again. However, the other day I found a recipe for their house dressing!! The tomatillo ranch that they serve with their salads. It is sooo good. I've made three batches already and they don't seem to last more than 2 days each. Anyway, here it is for all of you who are in the same boat as me and can't have Cafe Rio whenever we want (or anyone else as well):

What you need:
1 hot pepper(the recipe called for a jalapeno, but all I had was a cyrano and it worked fine-I guess just pick whatever you want)
1 clove of garlic
3 larger sized tomatillos
1 handful of cilantro leaves(I make this a big handful cause I love cilantro)
1 splash of lime juice
1 cup milk
1 cup mayonnaise
1 package of ranch dressing mix
(I found several different recipes and kind of combined them to fit what I had in my fridge but it turned out great. Play around with it and see what you like best.)

Instructions:
Combine the pepper, garlic, tomatillos, cilantro and lime juice in a food processor and blend until finely chopped. I suppose a blender will work as well if you don't have an awesome Cuisinart food processor like we do(thanks Trevor and Jess).
Then add the milk, mayonnaise and ranch packet and blend again until smooth.
I guess for a thicker consistency you can replace 1/2 cup of the mayonnaise with 1/2 cup sour cream(I haven't tried this though and cannot guarantee the taste).

Its great on salads of course, but I'm addicted to it lately and I am using it on everything - fajitas, salads, and even just as a dip with chips or tortillas. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Sarah and James Wagner said...

I make this all the time!!! Yumm!!! I make some of the other dishes that they serve too!! We should open a cafe rio out here!