So I had an incident on Sunday night with a utility knife. I was trying to cut a roll of electrical tape in half because I needed it half the width. So ignoring the fact that you are supposed to cut away from yourself I went to work. About 5 seconds after I thought to myself, "hmm, I probably shouldnt hold it like this while I cut" the knife slipped and I lacerated myself. Props to Nick for being a good husband and rushing to the bathroom with me and my bleeding hand not knowing what was going on, and running to grab the first aid kit(thanks mom for the 4 kits we have in our house). And for taking me to the emergency room after taking one glance and knowing it needed stitches. It was at least 1/4 inch deep, probably more, I didnt care to examine it longer to see how deep it really went after seeing that it did in fact go through the subcutaneous fat layer. Nick did use the word flayed(sp?) when describing it. Lucky me it happened on a sunday night so I couldnt just go to a walking clinic, I had to go to the ER. 8 stitches and a tetanus shot later and this is what it looked like:

And then I have to wear a bandage like this, especially at work.

Other than the lidocaine shot to numb my hand(which hurts really bad by the way) the worst part is the tetanus shot. My shoulder is still in pain. Remember kids, always cut away from yourself.
4 comments:
Ouch! I'm glad you're ok! No more home surgeries, ok?
I totally understand the tetanus shot-those things are killer. After fracturing my elbows, I had to get one. It just adds insult to injury. Glad you're doing okay!
Good heavens! That looks awful, you poor girl! I'll definitely be more careful.
OMG! Yes, I just wrote that. I'm behind on my blog-reading, but OMG! Your poor hand! Lisa, you're so amazing. I would have totally been a woose and made James cut the tape for me. Although, he would have cut himself and then where would we be?
Good job, Nick. Way to save the day.
At least it wasn't your face or something... :)
Post a Comment