Monday, June 23, 2008

Vet Techs Should Get Hazard Pay!

So today at work I was changing out the bedding in one of the cats kennels. Nice cat. She was purring and letting me pet her. I had given her all her injections for the morning, flushed her IV catheter, picked her up and moved her around, all the while she is purring and wanting me to pet her. She is sick and has been having diarrhea so I go to put a pee-pad in her kennel so we don't have to change the towel every time she has a mess. So as I'm laying the pee-pad down the cat just literally snaps! She starts flailing and flying all over the kennel, kicking, screaming, hissing, biting, scratching- anything she could possibly do to freak out as much as possible. I need to calm her down because I can't have her fall out of the kennel and a) hurt herself or b) pull all the expensive IV equipment that she is connected to down in a big crash. So I'm trying to get a hold of her and she just keeps freaking out. I finally have to get another co-worker to close the kennel door really fast as I throw the cat to the back of the kennel. The following pictures are the aftermath:












There was lots of blood, lots of scratches, lots of puncture wounds and lots of antibacterial soap. These pictures don't give the live version justice. Yet another example of why I am convinced that cats are possessed. Remind me to show you the scars in a couple years. PS. The cat was fine the rest of the day- acted like nothing had happened, back to her normal self. I didn't talk to her the rest of the day though - nor will I tomorrow.

6 comments:

Julie said...

Lisa....I totally know how you feel. The vet field is DANGEROUS especially cats!! Cats are and I have to agree are possesed! (*not to mention I have a cat) Anyways...yeah I've gotten scratched up by cats too...what's interesting is this cat was totally fine at first. ah well..I hope you're ok! What kind of a cat was it?

Kristy said...

Cats are evil. They really are. Sorry'bout your scraches. And sorry about the scars you'll most likely have from them! I have to say though, taking care of a baby is pretty much the same as taking care of animals--bodily fluids still get all over you. At least babies don't have teeth! Techs don't get paid enough for what they go through, that's for sure! And I like that you and the cat are no longer speaking--that'll show her!

Shannon said...

Oh my heck! That evil cat really got you! I laughed pretty hard when you made the comment that cats were possesed! I totally agree! Hope the cuts don't take too long to heal up!

Calley said...

...and now you know why I don't like cats!

Mama Megs said...

Lisa- It's Megan Miles (Poulsen) How are you?! I found your blog from facebook-so are you married to Nick? I'm so confused! This blogging world is so crazy-luckily I have Calley to guide me and show me everyone I ever knew's blog!Write back!

brenna said...

Ouch! I'd never talk to the cat ever again.